June 12, 2011

Which kit is it?

This Christmas my friend Mark gave me some kits for my layout, one of them is the Faller 'Wood Plant', here's how it turned out:





So I'm pretty happy with it, and then I noticed something funny on eBay:



Brewery from Model Power

Factory from Atlas


So that got me thinking what other structures do I have that are sold or have been sold under many names from many manufacturers...   So far I've found this:



So this is my Faller 'rock crushing plant':


and it looks a lot like Model Power's Blue Coal Depot:


I don't like this much.  I like Faller, I want to believe in them, as a brand, but if they are just repackaging someone else's old goods, well, what does that say of them?   I guess the counter arguement is that they are keeping product on the market that otherwise would be unavailable.   In the case of the 'lumber plant' above, Faller does incude a crane (pictured) and some wood loads, and a few other bits and bobs that the other versions do not contain, so I guess there's some added value.  Still, before I pay full retail for a kit again I will browse eBay first for an older package.



1 comment:

  1. This is a brilliant observation! Its something I've noticed myself (with other kits, not these)! The first clue to me was the obvious European look of the pre-built Model Power kits that are somewhat ubiquitous in the states, but your right, all of these kits seem to be knock offs of European models! The Walthers blast furnace? A Trix blast furnace. I wonder how many of the kits from Model Power, Atlas, Walthers etc.. were even designed in America? What I find amazing is not only how old a lot of these kits are, but how long they've actually been in production! Some of these molds must go back to the 1960's, yet you still pay a price as if a designer had to meticulously design them just yesterday!

    ReplyDelete