November 21, 2011

Quick Kit Review: Kibri 37032 Church of the Gotthardbahn



Design:  The kit is well designed.  It appears to be a modern mould, the visible seams are minimized when assembled, the flash is minimal and the sprunes had adequate trimming space.  Rating: A

Quality:  The walls are unusually thick, much more so then is the norm in N scale structures and the thin parts are about as good as one gets in a modern 1:700 scale ship (ie. impressively thin).   I was pleasantly surprised. The factory colours are not to my taste, but I never build an unpainted kit so a non issue for me. The Photo on the box suggests a common blue hue for the dome and stonework which is misleading, as they are cast from separate plastics, one green, the other grey.  Rating: A

Documentation:  Typical of Kibri the documentation is a little lacking.  The parts are numbered from 7000 to 8000 over several sprunes, rather then the standard A1, A2, A3...B1, B2, B3... and the instructions are a series of images that cram too much detail into too few panels.   It's not unbuildable, clearly, but it's not on par with a modern Faller kit either.  Rating: C

Decals and Details:  The decal sheet does not match the decals illustrated in the instructions.  The instructions on the window decals are not very clear, but the effect once used correctly is impressive.  The windows are a translucent yellow with a crosshatch which looks great.   The snowbreaks on the roof are finely moulded.  Rating: B

Build:  I'm very pleased with how this came out.  The church makes an impressive structure, looks great, and fits my chosen subject area perfectly.  Rating: A

Overall Rating: A (Not an average)

Click to enlarge

The original:



This last image is a print, you can buy it here:






3 comments:

  1. That's a nice looking church. How long did it take you to assemble this model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I built it over the course of perhaps 10 hours, but I did other things at the same time. I'd paint some parts, then do something else while I let them dry, and then return to it. So, it was a Sunday project for me but not my exclusive focus. I find I do much better work with kits when not pushing to get them done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The church turned out really nice! Thanks for review as well!

    ReplyDelete