November 19, 2011

Check out my rocks

More mountains means more rocks, so last night I mixed up a double batch of hydrocal.  My local hobby shop stocks a brand that comes with various pigments, I find this serves no purpose as my rocks will be painted long before I'm done, but it costs less then the woodland scenics product so why not.   That said, I'd recommend looking at plaster.com, as I wish I had known about them before I started.   

Anyhow, I made 10 moulds worth of rocks and let them dry overnight: 


This morning I attached these to the layout, using Surebond white glue.  I've had better results with this stuff then with a glue gun, and it's much less mess then trying to stick them on with new hydrocal, which has little tensile strength anyhow.




Don't let the wet glue scare you.  Next step will be casting and attaching more rocks, and then painting, which ill be a future post.


UPDATE:   Lots more rocks added, and a retaining wall too!








This is how the sausage is made, do not be alarmed, it'll clean up nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment