February 5, 2013

FLIRT Update

A victory for obstinacy!

Today I decided to take another pass at the FLIRT cab with the Dremel and bored out more plastic.  I've made the body shell thinner in parts, and removed more of the interior plastic for the top lights (which are non operational at this point anyhow).  It's much improved.  I think the slight difference is now the product of the body shell bulging slightly, and not the decoder preventing the cabin from seating correctly on the frame, so it really cannot be made any better without reducing the bulge at this point:

This is the "bad end".

and for comparison, here's the good side.

I've reduced the bulge slightly by shaving off some of the speaker's housing, but it seems no more can be done there.  As it was, I was dangerously close to destroying the little thing, so this is as good as I will get it.   The cab seam is what really vexed me, it was so obvious.  The bulge is there if you look for it but it does not stand out too badly.

Can you see the bulge in photo one?  Bonus points if you can tell me which Sci Fi series is referenced in these images!

3 comments:

  1. Dalek? I think? I've never been into Dr Who but that shape looks like what I think is a Dalek.

    ReplyDelete