February 4, 2013

Fleischmann SBB Re 460 With Sound

It seems last years pre-orders are all coming in now.  Today a shiny new engine arrived for me!


I will do an in depth review later but I wanted to share my early impressions, as I'm quite excited to have something work so nicely right out of the box.  The photos and video are taken with my phone, and not in great light but I do think it does the model justice. The printing is very fine, as you would expect, but the model is not loaded with detail.  That said, it's my impression that the real thing is similarly devoid of bits and bobs, so this little guy certainly looks the part to my eye. The side texture is subtle, and the pantographs are the finest of any of my fleet.


The big feature here is the sound of course, and this model delivers.  DCC Functions 1-18 are all allocated to various functions, including 3 station announcements, door sounds, direction appropriate interior cab lighting, front and rear light overrides, numerous horns and whistles and all the rest you would expect.

I filmed a short video, (handheld with the iPad while operating the controller so it's a tad shaky) taking you through some of the sights and sounds on my rolling test bed).


So there you go.  Straight out of the box and it's looking and sounding great!  Factory sound seems a much more reliable choice today than it was just a few years ago.  

Oh, and the best part?  This locomotive is only $200.  For a European import I'd call that a steal!

Fleischmann 731372

2 comments: